We have found it very helpful to establish monthly goals. It keeps us focused on a few things to accomplish each month rather than trying to do everything at once. Better to do a few things really well than many things being partially done.
For March we have 3 areas we have made goals. The first is financial goals.
- Add $500 to our emergency fund. We will continue to build this fund over time to establish a safety net for unforeseen emergencies. We want to make sure that as we pay down our debt, we are not forced to build it back up in an emergency.
- Pay down Visa by $1,000. Now that our overdrafts are completely paid off, our next area of focus is the credit card. The total balance is $7,000 today so we will target getting this down to $6,000 in March.
The nest area we made some goals is really just a general bucket. This is where we will make goals to achieve projects around the house, personal goals and anything else we want to achieve in a short timeline.
This month we have a couple goals in this area.
- Complete conversion of all light bulbs to LED. Not only is this good for the environment, it is also good for reducing our electricity bill moving forward. You will find some more detail about this decision here – Bright Ideas.
- Replace shower faucet. The faucet in our shower has recently started leaking. The worst thing you can do as a homeowner is ignore small repairs that need to be made. In our experience, these little jobs will turn into large and expensive repairs if left too long to address.
The third and final area we have made some goals for this month is around improving our Blog.
- Increase unique visitors to 300 for the month. Last month we had 134 unique visitors to our blog. By continuing to add good quality content and implementing some traffic generating strategies, we plan to more than double our visitors in March.
- Write 6 good quality content posts. This one is key to achieving goal #1.
- Create “Who We Follow” page. This will point some of our readers to other sites that we have found helpful.
There are a couple goals we have not mentioned above that are more ongoing and I don’t want to repeat every month. One is paying all bills on time and the other is continue our weekly/monthly budgeting.
I have also not set as a goal to find a new position and start working. I have several positions in the works right now and do not want to rush myself into a role that does not fit with my personal and professional goals.
Onward and upward.